Admission I-20 Processing

Trojan International Login

Trojan International Login

Trojan International (TI) is the immigration services portal for international students who need an I-20 to study at USC. Newly admitted students who have committed to enroll at USC and current students who are beginning a new program of study can use this service to prepare their documents.

Trojan International Checklist
We also recommend reviewing the Trojan International Checklist for guidelines on how to prepare your passport and financial documents for submission. You must submit a new I-20 request in Trojan International if your admission is moved to a different term (for instance, from spring to summer). 

Note: If you are a current USC student in need of other immigration services, please visit the Office of International Services.

General Information

Admitted students who have committed to enroll at USC for summer 2024 or fall 2024 can submit their I-20 request via Trojan International.

Please log in with your USC NetID and select the “Admission: menu to proceed. (If you have just obtained your NetID, please wait one more day before attempting to log in.)

USC students

What We Do

We issue I-20s and DS-2019s only for newly admitted international students planning to enroll in on-campus degree or certificate programs.

Please refer to the Office of International Services (OIS) to manage your immigration record or acquire proper documentation if you are a current international student at USC, returning from a Leave of Absence, or an online student switching to an on-campus program.

Note: Admission I-20 Processing cannot advise you regarding CPT or OPT.


Beginning the I-20 Process

Basic Requirements:
To be issued an I-20 by the USC Office of Admission, you need to:

  • Be officially admitted to an on-campus USC degree or standalone certificate program approved for I-20 issuance.*
  • Submit a Statement of Intent certifying you will attend USC. Some programs may also require paying a commitment deposit. After committing to USC, you will need to also establish your USC NetID.
  • Request your I-20 by submitting a “New F-1 Student Request” e-form in Trojan International.

*You will not be able to request an I-20 from Admission if you are:

  • Admitted to a fully online degree program.
  • A new International Academy admit.
  • In a progressive degree program.
  • A visiting scholar/student.
  • In a Fulbright Program that will issue your documents.

Documentation Requirements for Students
Upload the following to Trojan International:

  • A copy of the biographical section of a valid passport.
  • Proof of funding that demonstrates your ability to pay estimated tuition and living expenses for yourself and any dependents while you are in the U.S.

Documentation Requirements for Dependents
If you need dependent I-20s for your spouse and/or children, please submit:

  • Copies of their passports.
  • A copy of the marriage certificate for your spouse.
  • A birth certificate for each child.

Please note: Dependent I-20s will be issued no later than 30 days prior to the start of the academic program. Please refer to the Trojan International Checklist for complete instructions.

Transferring Your SEVIS Record to USC
If you are already on F-1 status at another U.S. institution, you will need to wait until your SEVIS record is released to USC before your USC I-20 can be issued.

  • Please review USC’s guidelines for the SEVIS transfer process.
  • Have your current school transfer your record to USC.
  • Trojan International will also request a copy of your current school’s I-20.

Students Already in the U.S. on a Non-Immigrant or Non-Tourist Visa
Do NOT request an I-20 if you already have a non-immigrant/non-F1 visa (H-1B, H4, L2, etc.) that permits study in the U.S., and you plan to remain on that visa while at USC. It will be your responsibility to maintain your immigration status. Note: You cannot study in the U.S. on a B (visitor/tourist) visa.

I-20 Types

Please review the following to determine the type of I-20 you will need to attend USC.

Initial I-20: You are admitted to an on-campus USC degree program, and you will need a new USC I-20 to enter the United States with an F-1 visa. You must pay the I-901 fee to activate the SEVIS record for this new Initial I-20. This is the most common type of I-20.

Transfer I-20: You are currently on F-1/OPT status at another U.S. institution and will be asking your school to transfer your SEVIS record to USC. After your SEVIS record is released to USC, you will be issued a Transfer I-20. Please see the Admission SEVIS Transfer-In Process page for instructions. If you are no longer able to transfer your SEVIS record, you may be issued an Initial I-20 instead. Students transitioning from the USC International Academy will also need a Transfer I-20 to start their regular degree program.

Change of Education Level (COEL) I-20: You will soon graduate or complete the current program or OPT for which you were issued a USC I-20, AND you have been admitted to a new USC degree program and/or are progressing to a higher degree level (e.g., master’s degree to PhD). This does not apply if you are only changing majors within your department at the same degree level.

Change of Status (COS) I-20: You are newly admitted to a USC on-campus degree program and currently hold a non-immigrant, non-tourist U.S. visa (i.e. H-1B, L2, etc.) and wish to change your status to F-1 within the United States.

This is the least common I-20. You will need to first obtain approval from an OIS advisor before Admission will issue the COS I-20. Because processing times are unpredictable, it may be more practical to leave the U.S. and apply for an F-1 visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate with an Initial I-20.


If you plan to attend USC on a J-1 Student Visa and need a DS-2019, please email your request to the Office of Admission. Select a category under “Immigration Matters” (I-20s, Visas, etc.). This is not necessary if your DS-2019 is being issued by the Fulbright Program.

The Electronic USC I-20/DS-2019

If your New F-1 Student Request is approved, your I-20 PDF will be issued and made available as a download link in the Trojan International “Downloads” section. Be sure to check your university email frequently for the notification. The I-20 will not be sent directly to your email address.

J-1 Students: If your request is approved, your DS-2019 PDF will be available as a download link in the Trojan International “Downloads section.” Please visit Your USC DS-2019 for instructions on how to apply for your J-1 visa.

Print the I-20

After receiving your I-20 PDF file, you must print a paper copy to apply for your F-1 visa and travel to the U.S. The PDF is not meant to be digitally signed. Students must sign their printed copy with a pen. The PDF password will also not be provided.

Presenting your I-20 PDF on your phone, tablet, or laptop will not be acceptable for any official purpose. You must always use the printed copy. Do not leave your printed I-20 in your checked luggage when traveling. We recommend printing the DHS guidance as well and keeping it with your printed I-20 when you travel to the U.S. Guidelines can be found on the ICE website.

Your Initial I-20
After you receive your Initial I-20, please visit the Your Initial I-20 page for instructions and guidelines on the F-1 process as well as pre-arrival and post-arrival information.

The USC SEVIS Transfer-In Process

If you are transferring your SEVIS record from another U.S. institution to USC, please review the USC Admission SEVIS Transfer-In Process page for instructions and guidelines.


If You Already Have an F-1 Visa 

Renewing Your F-1 Visa
If you previously attended school in the U.S., your F-1 visa is not expired, and you are currently outside the U.S., you will be able to use your unexpired F-1 visa and your USC I-20 to re-enter the U.S., even if your visa lists your previous school’s name. If you are receiving a new I-20 with a new SEVIS ID number, you will need to repay the SEVIS fee for your new document and keep the receipt with you.

SEVIS Transfer Students: If you are inside the United States and your visa has expired, you may remain in the U.S. as long as you have received your transfer I-20 from USC and have no plans to travel outside the U.S. within the five-month transfer period between your old program and your USC program. However, you will need a new F-1 visa to re-enter the U.S. the next time you leave the country.

If you are outside the United States or are planning to leave the United States, and your visa has expired or will expire shortly after the start of your program at USC, you must use your USC I-20 to apply for a new F-1 visa.

Arriving in the U.S.

(updated 03/01/2024)
After arriving in Los Angeles, students must complete Immigration Status Verification (ISV) with the Office of International Services (OIS). Completing ISV will remove your STU50/STU60 holds. Admission I-20 Processing cannot remove the holds.

Please read the Student Health Requirements page for information on health insurance requirements as well as vaccinations/immunizations.


  • If you are applying or have been admitted to a USC degree or certificate program, please email your question and select a category under “Immigration Matters” (I-20s, Visas, etc.). This contact page is answered by Admission I-20 Processing. If you are a current USC student who needs assistance with their immigration record, please contact the Office of International Services (OIS). The Office of Admission cannot advise on CPT/OPT.

  • Admission I-20 Processing is housed within the USC Office of Graduate Admission. The Office of Graduate Admission issues, administers and advises on all I-20s for incoming undergraduate and graduate students.

  • I-20 Processing does not provide physical copies of I-20s. All I-20s will be delivered digitally in PDF format. We encourage students to print the new SEVP guidance and bring it with them to the visa interview and when entering the U.S.

  • Issuance of I-20s is seasonal. I-20 processing for students admitted to the fall term will begin in March of that year. Summer term I-20s will be processed at the end of January. Spring I-20s will be processed in September of the prior year.

  • Admission I-20 Processing issues I-20s only for newly admitted students, not current students already attending their program. If a change to your mode of instruction has been approved by all the necessary departments, contact the Office of International Services for your I-20.